Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council
Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council was signed on the 11th of February in 2004. This Regulation established common rights on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or long delay of flights.
You are entitled to a compensation if your flight was delayed, cancelled or overbooked by the airline’s fault and corresponds to the criteria listed in the EC 261/2004 regulation.
If your flight was delayed, cancelled or you were denied boarding due to overbooking for more than 3 hours, under the EC 261/2004 regulation you are entitled to:
- Full compensation (from 250 EUR to 600 EUR depending on travel distance: up to 1,500 km – 250 EUR, between 1 500 km and 3 500 km outside the EU – 400 EUR , over 3,500 km – 600 EUR),
- Free meals and drinks, two free calls, e-mail or free fax. If you have to wait for the flight for one or more nights, the carrier must grant you free accommodation at a hotel, including transport to/from the airport.
If the flight was cancelled less than 14 days before departure, the passenger is entitled to get a compensation in accordance with the air passenger rights laid down in the EC Regulation 261/2004.
A person cannot be entitled to compensation if a flight was disrupted due to force majeure or for reasons not related to the airline’s operations. Examples of extraordinary situations include:
- Weather conditions that are not suitable for the flight, natural disasters (e.g. the Ejafjadlojokudlio volcano eruption in Iceland in 2010)
- Airport operation disruptions
- Acts of terrorism or military actions
- Trade union strikes
- Airplane manufacturing flaws
- Airline bankruptcy
- Other reasons not dependent on the actions of the airline
If you think that this EC 261/2004 regulation is too confusing, you can always refer to Skycop specialists – we will check your flight and find out if you are entitled to a compensation. Just fill out our compensation form! We are always ready to fight for the rights of air passengers.