General information:

What is a disrupted flight?

A flight is considered disrupted and you can claim compensation if:

  • The flight was delayed and was late to arrive at the destination by more than 3 hours.
  • The flight was cancelled less than 14 days before departure.
  • The carrier refused to fly you on the grounds of shortage of seats on the plane.

How do I know if I am entitled to compensation?

You are entitled to compensation if your flight was disrupted by the airline’s fault and corresponds to the criteria listed in the European Parliament and Council Regulation, (EC) No. 261/2004 a.

The easiest way to check whether you can receive compensation from the airline is to complete the free application form on our website.

What amount of compensation can I expect?

Depending on the distance you were planning to travel, you can expect compensation ranging from 250 to 600 euro.

I’ve already received compensation from the airline in the form of gift certificates, cash and/or ancillary services. Can I file an additional claim?

Yes. Usually the value of compensations proposed by airlines is less than what you are entitled to under Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004. Even if you have already received a gift coupon, discount for travel, or an amount of money proposed by the airline, etc., you still may be entitled to further compensation under Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004, but it can be reduced, depending on the value of the compensation you have already received.

If you accepted any form of compensation from the airline, please notify us as accurately as possible about it, including information about any documents you were asked to sign when accepting the compensation.

How soon after the flight must I file for compensation?

Unfortunately, EU Regulation 261/2004 has not harmonized the rules relating to limitation periods but states that the national laws of the member states shall apply. Limitation periods can be between 2 and 10 years. For example, In Germany, 3 years, in Lithuania – 10 years, in Poland – 1 year is the current limit.

When am I not entitled to compensation?

When a flight is disrupted due to force majeure or for reasons not related to the airline’s operations. Examples include:

  • Weather conditions that are not suitable for the flight, natural disasters (e.g. the Ejafjadlojokudlio volcano that erupted in Iceland in 2010)
  • Airport operation disruptions
  • Acts of terrorism or military actions
  • Trade union strikes
  • Manufacturer’s defects in the plane.

Your financial compensation may be reduced if you agreed to accept other forms of compensation proposed by the airline – e.g. gift coupons or discounts for another flight.

If you have already accepted similar forms of compensation from the airline, it is important that you inform us about it.

Which countries are subject to Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004?

The regulation is valid in all EU countries.

In this case, the EU means the 28 EU Member States and Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Martinique, Reunion, Mayotte, Saint Martin (French Antilles), the Azores, Madeira, the Canary Islands, Iceland, Norway, and Switzerland.

Information about Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004 and the rights of passengers:

What law regulates the payment of compensation?

Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 February 2004 establishing common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or long delay of flights, and repealing Regulation (EEC) No. 295/91.

I flew with non-EU airlines. Can I expect compensation if a flight was disrupted?

Yes, you can expect compensation if the flight took place from any airport within the territory of the EU.

I flew from a non-EU member country. Can I expect compensation if a flight was disrupted?

Yes. According to the EU regulation, you can expect compensation, but it is important that you were travelling with EU-registered airlines.

If you flew from an EU country with a stop outside the EU, you can expect compensation if you reached the destination more than 3 hours late.

I am a non-EU citizen. Can I expect compensation?

Yes. Irrespective of the passenger’s nationality, the regulation applies to all passengers who departed from any airport within the EU or arrived to the EU on an airline registered in the European Union.

I did not buy a ticket directly from the airlines, but through an agent. Can I expect compensation and where should I file a claim?

Regardless of where and how you purchased your ticket, if you were going to travel/travelled on that flight and have a ticket with your name on it – you can claim a compensation.

In all cases, airlines are regarded as responsible for the disruption and claims are submitted to them.

Another person bought me a ticket. Who should file a claim in this case, and what is the process?

In all cases, the aggrieved person is the one who had to travel/travelled, not the one who paid the money. Therefore, even though your ticket was paid e.g. by your employer, who sent you for business purposes, or you received a ticket from your parents as a gift, or won it in a lottery, you are the person who experienced the inconvenience because of disruption, therefore, you must fill in the claim form and you will get the money for the inconvenience.

Several people (family members, friends travelling together, etc.) booked tickets and all the names are on a single booking form. Which person has to fill in the claim?

When completing the form, you can fill out a claim on behalf of each passenger whose ticket was booked along with yours. You will need to enter the data for each passenger, and we will send them the links to your completed claim and to the document that they will have to sign, if they want us to represent their rights.

In addition, each passenger can choose to fill in a claim for himself.

I had to reach my destination in a connecting flight, but because of a slight delay of the first flight, I missed the second flight. Does the Regulation defend my rights in this case?

If you bought your tickets in one reservation from the same airline, and paid for all of them by one bank transfer (in other words – you purchased a ticket for the connecting flight from that airline) – you will be entitled to compensation if you reached your destination more than 3 hours later than expected.

However, if the tickets were purchased from different airlines, it is not treated as a connecting flight, and the disruptions of each flight are evaluated separately, regardless of how they may have affected your subsequent trip. In this case, you may be entitled to compensation only for the flights that were late for more than three hours, and will not be compensated if you missed the second flight because of the short delay of the first flight, and reached your destination with further delay.

I was denied boarding because of overbooking. What are my other rights?

In this case, you can expect to:

  • Recover the full price of the ticket within 7 days from the date of the incident
  • Get a ticket on the next plane to your final destination, under similar terms
  • Select a later flight under similar conditions.

If you choose to travel a different route, and you have to wait, the carrier is required to provide you with free meals and drinks, access to two free calls, send a free fax or let you use e-mail. When you have to wait for a flight for one or more nights – you must be granted free accommodation in a hotel, including transport to/from the airport.

My flight was delayed more than 3 hours. What are my other rights?

The carrier must provide you with free meals and drinks, access to two free calls, free fax or let you use e-mail. When you have to wait for a flight for one or more nights – you must be granted free accommodation in a hotel, including transport to/from the airport.

How Skycop works:

How long may the compensation recovery process take?

Everything – from the submission of your claim to the payout – on average lasts for about 8 weeks.

However, depending on the complexity of the case, the airline and internal regulations of the country, supplementing Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004, the duration may slightly vary.

Can I keep track of the actions you undertake so that I will receive the claim?

Yes. Log in to your user account to see the whole process and to check for any missing information from you, and see all the other relevant information.

My claim has already been rejected by the airlines. Can I still use the Skycop services?

Of course! If you have tried to get the compensation independently, but the airlines have rejected it, fill in our claim form and provide all the information you have received from the airline – including the reason why your claim was denied. If we see that the airline had no reason to reject your claim – as always, we will represent your interests to the end. And keep in mind – you only need to pay us if you receive compensation yourself.

Can you help with compensation for lost baggage?

Currently, Skycop does not support the loss of baggage, but we are planning to include this in our future services.

What if the airline categorically refuses to pay compensation?

If the airline refuses to pay compensation, we will review all of your flight-related materials, evaluate the reasons for the flight disruption, and will contact you in person to discuss what we can do, and if necessary, seek legal action.

I completed the claim form and received the answer that the claim will not be satisfied. What can I do next?

If you file the claim form in the system and receive a reply, that we cannot satisfy the claim, most likely your flight disruption does not correspond to the definitions of Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004 regarding entitlement to compensation.

If you think there is a mistake in your claim, we recommend that you contact us by email at

Payment of compensation and taxes:

How much do Skycop’s services cost?

In standard cases, we charge a 25% commission fee on the refund you get from the airline, for the preparation of documents, claim submission, contacting airlines, etc. For example, if you receive 300 EUR from the airline, we will transfer 225 EUR to you and take 75 EUR for our services.

When appealing to a court, the commission fee may be increased by up to 50%. If we need to make such a decision, we will inform you about it.

What fees shall Skycop charge if the airline rejects a claim?

Nothing. We will not levy any charge when it turns out that the customer is not entitled to compensation.

How will you transfer my money?

We will send you your money by bank transfer. For this, we will need your personal account details. You can submit them upon logging into your account.

How much does the transfer cost?

As a standard, the money is transferred to the selected bank account at no cost. However, we are not responsible and shall not cover any charges of your bank for the credited funds and their administration.

In what currency will you transfer my money?

The money will be transferred in your preferred currency to your personal account in the selected bank.

If you wish to receive compensation in a currency other than the euro, you may have to pay the currency conversion fee.

Required documents:

What personal details will you need to start the compensation recovery process?

In completing the claim form, you will have to sign the consent form electronically. In subsequent steps, we may ask for a copy of your ID document.

I lost the plane ticket. Is there a way to start the process without it?

It is most important for us that you know your flight number, the flight reservation number, departure/arrival airports and the exact date of when the flight was to take place.

However, even if the airlines have all the information about passengers, they are reluctant to share these details and may require a document confirming that you actually purchased the flight ticket – the ticket, the boarding card, or a copy of an electronic ticket.

What is the flight reservation number and where can I find it?

This is a unique combination of 6 symbols – letters and numbers which you can find on your e-ticket or a document confirming the flight booking. If you no longer have a ticket, you should check all e-mails in which you were informed about the successful payment for the tickets, reminders about the date of travel and the like – often, these letters also contain the booking number.

If the claim goes to court, what documents you will need in order to represent me?

If the airline deliberately rejects the request for payment based on the claim and we have to go to court, we will need your signed consent to represent your rights in court.

Each individual case is always a little different, therefore, if we need any additional documents to represent your interests, we will notify you in person.

What is the consent for representation, what information does it contain, and why do I have to sign it?

By signing the document, you give your consent to us to represent your interests against the airline, and, if necessary, to defend them in court. Without the signed form, we will have no legal basis to submit your claim to the airlines, and even if we do – they can reject it without even considering it.

The main provisions laid down in the consent are as follows:

  • You provide us with authorisation to defend your right to compensation under Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004.
  • You provide us with authorisation to represent you in court if it is necessary to defend your rights under Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004.
  • You agree to provide true and complete information about yourself and the disrupted flight.
  • You agree to pay a fixed commission fee for our services, but only in case of successful recovery of compensation.
  • We are committed to do everything we can to get your compensation.
  • Both parties undertake to act in good faith, and to comply with the laws and assume all related responsibilities.

Other questions about compensation:

I had to purchase a ticket from another airline to reach my destination. Can I claim compensation for additional costs?

Any additional costs, based on the sales receipts – hotels, meals, or tickets that are required to reach your destination as soon as possible, must be immediately paid for by the airlines. Usually, passengers have no problems regarding these costs, but it is more difficult to agree about moral compensation (inconvenience) in accordance with Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004. For this reason, our experts focus on assistance in getting those particular benefits concerning the disrupted flight

In which cases am I only entitled to 50% of the compensation?

If a passenger has agreed to choose another flight instead of the cancelled flight, the airlines can reduce the amount of compensation by up to 50%, but only if the difference between the time when the passenger had to reach his destination, and when he actually reached it, is less than 3 hours.

I filed a claim and was contacted by the airline offering to transfer the compensation. Should I accept it?

Often, upon noticing that the recovery process is opened in the name of the passenger, the airline contacts the passenger directly and offers to close the case by paying the offered amount of money. In this case, we recommend that you not accept the offer immediately, but first contact the Skycop consultant, because the amount offered by the airline could be significantly lower than the amount you may expect if you fight for your rights to the end.

The reasons for my flight disruption are not listed in this FAQ. Can I apply for compensation?

If you are not sure whether you are entitled to compensation – fill out a claim in our system, or write to us at and we will answer all your questions.

Have some delayed or cancelled flights?

Submit the application now and leave all the rest to us.

Claim now!